Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Crumb Days and Prayers

We had our crumb day last week, doesn't everyone one have crumb day? Some might ask what is crumb day? Crumb day comes once a month, that is the day we really go after the crumbs. You know the crumbs that seem to get in places you never "see" but they are there. Austin was such a sweetheart to remove every thing from my kitchen counters including the microwave and the beast mixer (it is very heavy). We cleaned all of the granite and wiped it really dry so it wouldn't spot or streak. Then Austin wiped the dust off of every canister as well as the counter top appliances before he put them back in their place. Zachariah helped by moving the washer and dryer out to clean up the dust that loves to gather in those places that you can't see. I then took on all the wood and ceramic floors, here are Brutus and Gaston enjoying the fruits of my labor
And then I hit mine and Royce's shower..I have one word GROUT!!! We love our shower and the fact that it is the size of a decent closet..however scrubbing the grout and the space is a serious job to tackle.

And alas one more of that floor that again is a job to tackle, not only is it incredibly slippery when wet, there is yes...more grout! However we love our home and the space that we are so blessed to have. I suppose it is a good thing that I have this need to clean things, I have plenty to do, it is so much easier and goes so much more quickly with the help from the kids. I used to not allow them to do these things. Then one day my best friend asked me if I planned to follow them to college and cook, clean do laundry etc for them. She then lovingly but to the point told me it was a dis-services to them by not allowing them to do things, keep in mind our oldest was 13 at the time and all I knew for sure is that she could read and follow directions to make a box of Mac and Cheese...assuming I would actually have that in the pantry if there were a time that I couldn't actually be home in time to make dinner, this made sense to me so things have changed since then.


Yesterday I spent the morning doing a couple of massages on some clients. I then decided that I really needed to just go see my friend across town. Let me back up a moment. Sunday morning I had read a few chapters in the Book of Mormon and later that morning I knelt in prayer and asked that I be blessed with an opportunity to be of service to someone in need. This is not abnormal for me so this is what happened....
I got two phone messages from my friend Sunday evening, she had left them much earlier in the day. I had not heard from her by phone since March but had been in touch via email and face book. I didn't think to much of not being in touch, I knew she had a lot on her plate and that we would get together soon to cook or go to the beach, I hadn't really realized how much time had passed. she did not sound good at all on Sunday evening and in fact left me feeling very concerned over her and her well being. I promised her that I would be there Monday by 1p.m.
I arrived as I had said to find her a horrible mess. I listened, cried with her, took her to walk on the beach and get some fresh air, listened some more, let her cry more and simply was there for her. Later that night I took her to the hospital and admitted her to a detox program that is there. I have never had to do this before. I have never been to help a friend who has been drunk for the last month and a half and on a serious downward spiral with the depression to boot that she is dealing with. I had a deeply hurt husband, crying 2 yr old twin boys, an 11 yr old daughter and a very upset, very confused brother of my friend.
I have been to the service of friends more than once or twice in my life, I will forever remember cleaning my dear friends husband up after he had taken his life in their apartment...the coroner does not do clean up. I would do it again for her, as much as that grosses me out to even think about I would do it..out of love.
It is moments like this that I stop and ask.."Was this an answer to my prayer? Or was I an answer to my friends prayers?" "What am I being prepared for?" I have seen very dear close loved ones have to bury their child, and then their husband many years later. My two girlfriends who do not know each other, have refereed to me as their rock, and their angel. I am not sure I am either. I just know that we are commanded to love one another and to help lift another in times of need...always with love. Isn't this what the savior would do?
I am just thankful that I am blessed with the family I have, with the sweet companion that I have and for all the abundance in which we have together. I am thankful that there is such a sweet spirit about our home, about our lives. I am thankful we do not have chemical dependencies or struggle with those temptations. I am thankful that the gospel that we choose to live by; counsels us about these very topics. I know we as individuals, as a family and as a couple are blessed from living these teaching, I am blessed and I just felt the need to express this.
It does not take a day like I spent yesterday with my friend for me to recognize or realize these things, however it sure makes me reflect.



No comments: