Monday, June 16, 2008

Freedom

I found this short article yesterday and really enjoyed it's message. I love everything about our country and where we each live on this huge continent. We are so blessed! Not just with our freedom, our blessings go way above and beyond freedom, plus I just like the author:
Ardath Rodale has also written, Everyday Miracles; Reflections; Gifts of the Spirit; True Stories to renew your soul; and Climbing Toward the Light. The short article goes as follows:
As I sit here in late afternoon, I look up at the magnificent sky to see wafts of clouds touched with rainbow colors and fleeting birds pass by the vast open space, and I'm surrounded by majestic trees that help the environment heal our world. We have healthy fresh produce that nourishes our bodies, and I'm thankful for the peace I feel each day. With urgency, I want to spread this feeling of peace and freedom to people around the world.
Too often we believe our freedom rests on outward conditions or upon other resources, and, before you know it, we become slaves to circumstance. We forget that everything begins within us. Instead of looking outward to others for our happiness, we need to find peace, prosperity, joy and freedom of spirit within ourselves. True freedom is an inner state of awareness-an inside job-and it is available to everyone. It begins when we take up the reins of responsibility for our own lives. (then she quotes a Girl Scout campfire song)
"Freedom's a thing that has no ending, it needs to be cared for, it needs defending.
"A great long job for many hands, carrying freedom 'cross the lands."
To be renewed in mind and in body we must free ourselves from obsolete ideas. Old, hardened thoughts and habits can cause mental and physical stagnation. New, fresh ideas and routines can save us from idleness and decline. Remember that freedom is like choosing clothing that fits our personalities. Gaining personal independence from all kinds if inner bondage will free the spirit.
I celebrate the free spirit that dwells within each of you!
This just seem to strike a cord in me and I can relate. I love that we are taught to continually nourish our minds and spirit, to seek after knowledge and spiritual gain. To engage ourselves with our families and communities. The more I live this life that I am blessed with, the more I recognize how everything stems from our Heavenly Father, it really is a no brain er but sometimes it's important to take a moment and give thanks and acknowledge that. My freedom is a gift, freedom in all aspects and part of that freedom I exercise in Choosing to Follow Christ, to bear witness of him and to bring my children up as followers of Christ as well. This nation that I love was founded under God and as the times change the more I see how we need to cling to that and hold true to what "WE" know is right and as President Hinckley said.."Stand for Something" it is full circle. I know his talk is speaking about our standards within the gospel but I feel it goes above and beyond the standards, times are changing quickly, give Thanks for all our Freedoms we are blessed with and embrace the standards that we have been asked and counseled to live, there are greater blessings than we can comprehend in doing so.

2 comments:

Simply, Sarah said...

Hi Sherry! It's good to see your blog! Come visit again sometime.
Sarah

emily :) said...

Thank you for sharing this article...it is really great! :) A wonderful reminder of recognizing our blessings and where they come from! Also, was it you that mentioned that your calling is Enrichment Leader?? If so, I do to...we will have to compare notes :)