Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Beach Time Adventures

Today is Terrific Tuesday, the sun is shinning and it truly is lovely out. I however am sick and had to cancel my massage clients today and bump them to the end of the week. Okay so I don't feel good, pretty rotten actually..who in the world gets strep throat in the middle of the summer? Anyhow Saturday the sun was shinning for the first time in about 2 weeks so off to the beach we ran. The two oldest kids Elise and Austin went with the youth from both wards to the Temple in Medford and had a really nice and "uplifting time." Both the kids love doing temple work and enjoy the spirit that only the Temple has. While Royce and I and the 3 younger kids were at the beach, we decided to go to the beach that you can drive on...for some reason Royce really wanted to go to THAT beach, and we drove out onto the sand...after we got through the water that came up over the hood. We all enjoyed the time, enjoyed the lunch and sandcastle building, running in the puddles of water that were warm compared to the cold Pacific Ocean, then the wind began...and it really started to kick up the sand so rather than stick around and get sandblasted we decided that it had been 3 hours of fun in the sun so we began driving back to where you enter the beach..and we got stuck in that super soft sand that we love so much..I mean stuck, you didn't even have to use the side boards to step down out of the car..they were covered in sand too. So we began to dig which was fruitless because the sand was like liquid and the wind just kept blowing what we dug out back under the car...it was literally burying the car more. We were helped out after digging for about an hour by some really nice people, they hooked up a chain and gave us a nice tug out and we were free again. We made a run again to get off the beach and did make it, oh yes we were stuck in the sand twice, the first time we weren't so deep but the second time really had us in a wrench..hooray for cool people to lend a hand!! Then we got back up to the water area that we HAVE to cross to get off the beach, there is no other outlet, and the person who had helped, was right in front of us...his truck stalled and began to fill up with water, we were able to pulled in front of him and help them out of the water and into the parking lot, where we helped him try to get his truck started again. He discovered that the water had caused his starter to fry up so there was no way it was going to start up no matter how much we charged him up with the jumper cables. Even though we got stuck and had a couple of hours of some pretty nerve racking things occure it was still a wonderful day and time well spent together. We finished the day by letting the kids choose dinner (Pizza) and Royce and I watched that classic movie To Sir, With Love. If you haven't seen it, it really is a good movie. We both appreciate just how blunt the main character is with his students, to bad teachers today aren't more like him. Sidney Poitier of course is fabulous..he is in just about everything I've seen him in. Another thing is if you really want to read a good book, The measure of a man by Sidney Poitier is VERY good. There is a few bits of language in it but in all very much worth the time to read. We did not have the camera with us or there would be pictures of our car buried in the sand so others could have a laugh on us...can you believe that people actually gathered around and took pictures as well as video?? Both while we were stuck and also when we went through the water and then when we helped the other guy out..what's up with that?? I suppose they found it funny, it is now that I look back at it but at the time it was NOT funny at all. Oh and just so people know our vehicle was in 4 wheel drive LOW and we still got stuck! Yesterday I took the car and had it washed even the undercarriage got it..I wasn't to crazy about the sea weed dangling under there. Now it's all shiny and sparkly again. :) I have to go and take supplements and make more juice in the juicer, gotta get rid of this stuff and I am making a good effort to do it holistically if I can, it's worked in the past so here's to a healthy tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

wow what an adventure. Hope you feel better soon.