Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Easter Chicks


Royce and I went to the farm store a week before Easter and of course the chicks had just arrived. They are so cute when they are soft little fluff balls. We for some reason decided to get chickens. Fresh eggs are really nice and they do love to eat the bugs in your yard when you let them roam. This little chick here is an Americana and the one Royce named. Her name is Elvira, her sister which I named is Dizzy Izzy and Dizzy is bossy out of all our hens. The Americana are reliable egg layers and they lay eggs that are colored in soft blues and greens, I really look forward to seeing what they produce :)

This is our rooster, he is a brown leghorn breed so of course his name is Fog Horn...very fitting for where we live with all the fog that rolls in, not to mention the noise he will soon be making. We have a neighbor who has a rooster so the noise is something we are already familiar with and the time of day they like to make the most noise. He will be a gorgeous rooster when his adult feathers come in, very colorful.

This is one of our White Crested Black Polish hens we have two. Janelle named one Coconut and Elise named the other one Ziggy. We can actually tell them apart, which seems strange in a way, but if you ever own chickens you'll understand what I mean. These two are at the bottom of the pecking order and are a bit smaller than the other breeds that we got. They too are good egg layers just not as many in a week as the rest.


These two are a Light Brahma breed and known for their dependable egg laying skills. Zachariah named one Popcorn and Austin named the other one Jean Louise (J-Lo) for short. They are very sweet docile hens and it is said they will follow us around like puppies in the yard, they also have feathered feet which is pretty fun, they have slippers on all the time :)

Here is Royce bonding with the hens and rooster, all eight are on his arms and knee. This is a whole new experience for all of us. When I was a kid we lived out in the middle of Wyoming and the ranch we lived on had a huge hen house that we would collect eggs from. I have never had to tend to baby chicks that needed a light and a lot of attention. We will start getting eggs in mid June to mid July, close to that time frame. I am looking forward to the fresh eggs and building the hen house together. It is time to re claim our sun room, hooray! We may just have to join 4-H with the two girls so they can show their chickens. Janelle really has a gift with these feathered friends of ours and is so pleased with them, Malia likes them too. I didn't get a picture of the hen she named. That hen is a Black Australop and Malia named her Jasmine (Jazzy) she is by far the friendliest of them all and loves to be held..silly hen!

3 comments:

charlene adams said...

Now why would you need a hen house? Those silly birds already have their perch. This is such a silly picture! And our chickens were when we lived in Lewiston, Idaho. You were very young, before Joe was born!

charlene adams said...

I guess our neighbors, the Jones's had a big chicken coop. Sorry I forgot that experience.

cinderella said...

wow u have some very pretty chickens and hens way to go u will love the eggs there yummy lol im happy for u