Saturday, March 7, 2009

Is Seeing Believing?

I am thinking with the loss of Malia's tooth, St. Patrick's Day and Easter fastly approaching that perhaps these events triggered this conversation. I overheard Janelle and Malia discussing if the tooth fairy is real or not. Malia of course was adamant that she IS real and Janelle was telling her "seeing is believing" I remained busy cleaning the bathroom and was just listening to the interaction, when all of a sudden Janelle says:
"Mommy, is seeing believing?"
Me: "What do you mean is seeing believing?"
Janelle: "Don't you think you need to see things like the tooth fairy to believe in them?"
Me: "Well Janelle have you ever seen Jesus?"
Janelle: "No" with a little giggle like I'm silly for even asking
Me: "How about the Holy Ghost, have you ever seen him?"
Janelle: "No"
Me: "Do you believe that Jesus is real?"
Janelle: "Yes"
Me: "How about the Holy Ghost, Do you believe that he is real too?"
Janelle: "Yes, because I can feel them in my heart."
Me: " Okay I can feel them too so I know that they are real even if I can not see them, just like you."
Janelle: "But I can't feel the tooth fairy, and my friends say she isn't real."
Me: "Well perhaps she isn't real and that's okay because it is always fun to pretend she is, even if it is only pretend. I can not feel her either but I still like to pretend she is real just for fun."
Janelle: "Well we don't have to pretend that Jesus is real, we know he is real and that is fun too."
Me: "I think it is fun to know that Jesus is real too, aren't we lucky to know he is real and we don't ever have to wonder or guess?"
Janelle: "I love Jesus and am happy that I know he loves me and I am really happy to know he is real."
Me: "Me too Janelle, I know he loves each of us."

And off she ran to go back to playing. We all know that things like the tooth fairy are not real and this was a great opportunity to not necessarily lie to my child but to help her understand the difference between things that we can not see but believe they are real. Yes you can definitely feel some over others and I am so thankful that my little Janelle and Malia (who observed the conversation) can understand the difference. I love that they know Jesus is real and as Janelle said "because she can feel him in her heart" what a little boost to my testimony, I love that I am able to teach my children these things and that Heavenly Father and Jesus help me out by confirming to these little ones that what they are being taught is true. I am so thankful that my Heavenly Father has entrusted me with this gift of motherhood and has enough faith in me to teach my children what is right.

2 comments:

Judie and George said...

You are such a good Mom!!!

Kelli said...

I dont always come up with those kind of best answers. Your great!